2004-08-31

John in Japan

Thanks for the invite. I am John Janzen. I am living in Japan. I am kind of a missionary, but then aren't we all.

This will be my first Brian McLaren book, though so much of what I have heard him say in different places online, I have very liked. So I don't expect to be among the Brian bashers, but I haven't got the book yet. I tend to like it when he says things that sound heretical or unorthodox, because I tend to think that orthodoxy is an illusion.

I will order the book today, but it might take a while longer to get to Nagoya...

2 comments:

Ryan Lee Sharp said...

i loved the book... very insightful... interesting re-imagining of what 'orthodoxy' even is...

in a day where it seems i am talking with more and more people who are bashing the church, this book reminds us of the good in many different traditions... even those beyond formal chistianity...

this is also a good little book on christian history in america...

enjoy!...

jen lemen said...

hey ryan, we hope you'll stay along for the ride and give us your two cents!