a Generous Orthodoxy

a conversation about "a Generous Orthodoxy", a book by Brian D. McLaren


2005-03-08

get to the good stuff

Even though I was very excited to get the book on amazon.com pre-order and started up this team blog, I did not complete reading the book until this past weekend. For those of you already familiar with the emerging church conversation, jump to Chapter 17 and read the last 4 chapters. (Sorry, Jen, I miscounted, it's not the last 3, it's the last 4 chapters!) The first 16 (or 17, if you count chapter 0) chapters are nice; good pep rally for the diversity of Christianity. But the new stuff and mind-wrangling doesn't happen until ch. 17!

Salient sound bite from page 249: 'I originally titled this chapter "Why I Am Buddhist/ Muslim/ Hindu/ Jewish," seeking to echo-- provocatively-- Crawford's words about being linked to all people.' The book went to print with 'Why I Am Incarnational.' I started the chapter expecting his lessons learned from Eastern Orthodox, and turns out, Brian's saying something way different!

I won't write too much more of a spoiler here, but if you're like me, and trudging through the book, skip ahead, get to the end, and we'll pick up the conversation about it soon!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to interject a utilitarian note, but I'm preparing to lead a group discussion of the book, Are any of you aware of posted study guides? Thanks for any leads....

3/29/2005 03:05:00 PM  
Blogger ken said...

this was easily my favorite chapter in the book. the very day i read it, i had a great conversation with my friend at work (who's a mormon). I'll be blogging that story tonight, i think.

4/05/2005 02:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home